Did You Know?
- Only 5 percent of eligible donors across the nation donate blood, yet more than 25 percent of us will require a blood transfusion at least once in our lifetime.
- Blood donors can donate as frequently as every 56 days. A benefit from donating this often is that you receive a mini-physical once every eight weeks.
- Each whole blood donation can help as many as three people. One unit is divided into three parts: red blood cells, platelets, and plasma.
- Whole blood donation only takes approximately 45 to 60 minutes.
- We offer free parking for all donors in the Davis Building parking garage.
- We offer mobile blood drives for donor convenience.
- On average, a hip replacement typically uses one unit of blood, a cardiac bypass 2 units, a heart transplant 2 units, and a liver transplant 10 units!
- The blood you donate with the Mayo Clinic Blood Donor Program stays right here in our community.
- Blood cannot be manufactured. It can only come as a gift from people.
- The need for blood increases during holidays and summer months. People are more apt to be traveling and active during these times and thus are at an increased risk for accidents.