When you make an appointment with a dermatologist, it's a good idea to prepare for your appointment by making a list of questions you want your doctor to answer. For wrinkles, some basic questions to ask your doctor include:
- What is the best course of action?
- What are my treatment options and the pros and cons of each?
- What will the treatments cost? Does medical insurance usually cover these treatments?
- What results can I expect?
- How often will I need to repeat the treatment?
- What kind of follow-up, if any will I have?
Don't hesitate to ask any other questions you have.
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions, including:
Feb. 26, 2014
- What products, such as cleansers and moisturizers, do you use on your skin?
- Do you use sunscreen?
- Did you expose your skin to sun when you were younger?
- Do you smoke or have you ever smoked?
- Causes of aging skin. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/basicfacts.html. Accessed Sept. 8, 2013.
- Goldberg DJ. Ablative laser surfacing for skin rejuvenation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 8, 2013.
- Alexiades-Armenakas M. Nonablative skin resurfacing for skin rejuvenation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 8, 2013.
- Valacchi G, et al. Cutaneous responses to environmental stressors. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2012;1271:75.
- Carruthers A, et al. Injectable soft filler tissues: Semipermanent agents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 8, 2013.
- Cosmetic procedures. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/cosmeticpro.html. Accessed Sept. 8, 2013.
- 10 tips: Selecting age-fighting topicals. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/age_fighting_selecting.html. Accessed Sept. 8, 2013.
- Chien Anna L, et al. Photoaging. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 8, 2013.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=740. Accessed Sept.8, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.