You'll likely first see your family doctor or a general practitioner. You then might be referred to a doctor who specializes in the liver (hepatologist).
What you can do
When you make the appointment, ask if there's anything you need to do in advance, such as restrict your diet for blood tests.
Make a list of:
- Your symptoms and when they began
- Key personal information, including major stresses, other medical conditions you have and any family history of Wilson's disease
- All medications, vitamins or other supplements you take, including doses
- Questions to ask your doctor
Take a family member or friend along, if possible, to help you remember the information you're given.
For Wilson's disease, questions to ask your doctor include:
- What tests do I need?
- What treatment do you recommend?
- What are the side effects of the recommended treatment?
- Are there other treatment options?
- I have these other health conditions. How can I best manage them together?
- Are there restrictions I need to follow?
- Should I see a specialist?
- Should my family be tested for Wilson's disease?
- Are there brochures or other printed material that I can have? What websites do you recommend?
Don't hesitate to ask other questions.
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you several questions, such as:
- Have your symptoms been continuous or occasional?
- How severe are your symptoms?
- What, if anything, seems to improve your symptoms?
- What, if anything, appears to worsen your symptoms?
Aug. 03, 2017
- Shilsky ML. Wilson disease: Clinical manifestations, diagnosis and natural history. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 22, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. Wilson disease. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2017.
- Pazirandeh S, et al. Overview of dietary trace minerals. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 22, 2017.
- Wilson disease. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/liver-disease/wilson-disease. Accessed June 22, 2017.
- Shilsky ML. Wilson disease: Treatment and prognosis. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 22, 2017.
- Bandmann O, et al. Wilson's disease and other neurological copper disorders. The Lancet Neurology. 2015;14:103.
- Wilson disease. American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/abouttheliver/info/wilson/. Accessed June 22, 2017.
- Riggin EA. AllScripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 23, 2017.