Wilson's disease can cause serious complications such as:
Aug. 28, 2014
- Scarring of the liver (cirrhosis). As liver cells try to make repairs to damage done by excess copper, scar tissue forms in the liver. The scar tissue makes it more difficult for the liver to function.
- Liver failure. Liver failure can occur suddenly (acute liver failure), or it can develop slowly over many years. If liver failure progresses, a liver transplant may be a treatment option.
- Persistent neurological problems. Neurological problems usually improve with treatment for Wilson's disease. However, some people may experience persistent neurological difficulty despite treatment.
- Kidney problems. Wilson's disease can damage the kidneys, leading to kidney problems such as kidney stones and an abnormal number of amino acids excreted in the urine.
- Psychological problems. These problems may include personality changes, depression, bipolar disorder or psychosis.
- Wilson disease. National Digestive Disease Information Clearinghouse. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/Wilson. Accessed June 6, 2014.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 6, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 6, 2014.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 6, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Wilson disease. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- What I need to know about liver transplantation. National Digestive Disease Information Clearinghouse. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/livertransplant_ez. Accessed June 10, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 14, 2014.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. June 25, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.