Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Tests and diagnosis
Even with today's high-tech medical devices, the basic chest X-ray remains an important tool in diagnosing various conditions. Here's a look at how it works.
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
Treatments and drugs
Find out what to expect as you prepare for chemotherapy treatment.
Nephrectomy is surgery to remove a cancerous or diseased kidney or to harvest a healthy kidney for an organ transplant.
Radiation therapy is a common means of treating many types of cancer. Find out what to expect during your radiation therapy treatment.
Sep. 02, 2011
- Ritchey ML, et al. Pediatric urologic oncology. In: Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1445/0.html. Accessed July 20, 2011.
- Warner BW. Pediatric surgery. In: Townsend CM Jr, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. 18th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1565/0.html. Accessed July 20, 2011.
- Anderson PM, et al. Neoplasms of the kidney. In: Kliegman RM. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed July 20, 2011.
- What is a clinical trial? CureSearch for Children's Cancer. http://www.curesearch.org/ArticleView2.aspx?id=8724&l=8657&c=a583b5. Accessed July 21, 2011.
- Young people with cancer: A handbook for parents. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/coping/youngpeople/AllPages. Accessed July 21, 2011.
- Khan SP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 15, 2011.
- U.S. News Best Hospitals: Cancer. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/cancer. Accessed June 23, 2010.
- Wilms tumor staging. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/WilmsTumor/DetailedGuide/wilms-tumor-staging. Accessed Feb. 9, 2011.
- Kidney tumors committee. CureSearch for Children's Cancer. http://www.curesearch.org/our_research/index_sub.aspx?id=1764. Accessed Nov. 4, 2010.
- Treating Wilms tumor: General. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/WilmsTumor/DetailedGuide/wilms-tumor-treating-general-info. Accessed Nov. 4, 2010.
- Treating Wilms tumor: Surgery. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/WilmsTumor/DetailedGuide/wilms-tumor-treating-surgery. Accessed Nov. 4, 2010.
- Wilms tumor and other childhood kidney tumors. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/wilms/patient/allpages#Keypoint24. Accessed Nov. 4, 2010.
- Wilms tumor key statistics. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/WilmsTumor/DetailedGuide/wilms-tumor-key-statistics. Accessed Dec. 29, 2010.
- What is Wilms tumor. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/WilmsTumor/DetailedGuide/wilms-tumor-what-is-wilms-tumor. Accessed Dec. 29, 2010.
- American Cancer Society. What Are the Risk Factors for Wilms Tumor? http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/WilmsTumor/DetailedGuide/wilms-tumor-risk-factors. Accessed Feb. 4, 2011.