Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Tests and diagnosis
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
Treatments and drugs
Nephrectomy is surgery to remove a cancerous or diseased kidney or to harvest a healthy kidney for an organ transplant.
Sep. 02, 2011
- Ritchey ML, et al. Pediatric urologic oncology. In: Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1445/0.html. Accessed July 20, 2011.
- Warner BW. Pediatric surgery. In: Townsend CM Jr, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. 18th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1565/0.html. Accessed July 20, 2011.
- Anderson PM, et al. Neoplasms of the kidney. In: Kliegman RM. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed July 20, 2011.
- What is a clinical trial? CureSearch for Children's Cancer. http://www.curesearch.org/ArticleView2.aspx?id=8724&l=8657&c=a583b5. Accessed July 21, 2011.
- Young people with cancer: A handbook for parents. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/coping/youngpeople/AllPages. Accessed July 21, 2011.
- Khan SP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 15, 2011.
- U.S. News Best Hospitals: Cancer. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/cancer. Accessed June 23, 2010.
- Wilms tumor staging. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/WilmsTumor/DetailedGuide/wilms-tumor-staging. Accessed Feb. 9, 2011.
- Kidney tumors committee. CureSearch for Children's Cancer. http://www.curesearch.org/our_research/index_sub.aspx?id=1764. Accessed Nov. 4, 2010.
- Treating Wilms tumor: General. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/WilmsTumor/DetailedGuide/wilms-tumor-treating-general-info. Accessed Nov. 4, 2010.
- Treating Wilms tumor: Surgery. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/WilmsTumor/DetailedGuide/wilms-tumor-treating-surgery. Accessed Nov. 4, 2010.
- Wilms tumor and other childhood kidney tumors. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/wilms/patient/allpages#Keypoint24. Accessed Nov. 4, 2010.
- Wilms tumor key statistics. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/WilmsTumor/DetailedGuide/wilms-tumor-key-statistics. Accessed Dec. 29, 2010.
- What is Wilms tumor. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/WilmsTumor/DetailedGuide/wilms-tumor-what-is-wilms-tumor. Accessed Dec. 29, 2010.
- American Cancer Society. What Are the Risk Factors for Wilms Tumor? http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/WilmsTumor/DetailedGuide/wilms-tumor-risk-factors. Accessed Feb. 4, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.