Wilms' tumor can't be prevented by anything you or your child can do.
If your child has signs and symptoms that increase the risk of Wilms' tumor, your child's doctor may recommend periodic kidney ultrasounds to look for kidney abnormalities. While this screening can't prevent Wilms' tumor, it may help detect the disease at an early stage, when treatment is most likely to be successful.
Nov. 06, 2014
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://wwwclinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 7, 2014.
- Townsend CM Jr, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 7, 2014.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 7, 2014.
- What is a clinical trial? CureSearch for Children's Cancer. http://www.curesearch.org/What-is-a-Clinical-Trial. Accessed Aug. 7, 2014.
- Young people with cancer: A handbook for parents. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/coping/youngpeople. Accessed Aug. 7, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.