Most people who experience whiplash will recover within a few months. However, some people continue to have pain for several months or years after the injury occurred.
It is difficult to predict the outcome, but in general, chronic pain may be more likely when the initial symptoms include rapid onset of pain, severe neck pain, headaches and pain that radiates to the arms.
Jan. 20, 2015
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 16, 2014.
- Frontera WR, et al. Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 21, 2014.
- NINDS whiplash information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/whiplash/whiplash.htm. Accessed Oct. 18, 2014.
- Bannister G, et al. Whiplash injury. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2009;91:845.
- Isaac Z, et al. Evaluation of the patient with neck pain and cervical spine disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 14, 2014.
- MacDermid JC, et al. Measurement properties of the neck disability index: A systematic review. The Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 2009;39:400.
- Yadla S, et al. Whiplash: Diagnosis, treatment, and associated injuries. Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine. 2008;1:65.
- South-Paul JE, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Family Medicine. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookId=377. Accessed Oct. 22, 2014.
- Anderson BC, et al. Treatment of neck pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 14. 2014.
- Shekelle P, et al. Spinal manipulation in the treatment of musculoskeletal pain. http://uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 21, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.