Signs and symptoms of Wegener's granulomatosis may develop suddenly or over several months.
The first Wegener's granulomatosis symptoms usually involve areas of your respiratory tract, such as your sinuses, throat or lungs. However, the condition often worsens rapidly, affecting blood vessels and the organs they supply, such as the kidneys. Signs and symptoms may include:
- Constantly runny nose, with pus-filled discharge
- Sinus pain and inflammation (sinusitis)
- Ear infections
- Chest pain
- Coughing up blood (hemoptysis)
- Shortness of breath
- General ill feeling (malaise)
- Unintended weight loss
- Joint aches and swelling
- Blood in urine (hematuria)
- Skin sores
- Eye redness, burning or pain
For some people, the disease is limited to the lungs and doesn't involve the kidneys. Kidney involvement usually doesn't cause symptoms early in the course of the disease, and may be detected only by blood and urine tests. However, in time kidney failure and anemia often occur.
When to see a doctor
See your doctor if you have a persistently runny nose that doesn't respond to over-the-counter (OTC) cold medicines, especially if it's accompanied by nosebleeds and pus-like material, coughing up blood, or other possible signs and symptoms of Wegener's granulomatosis. Because this disease can get worse quickly, early diagnosis is critical to receiving effective treatment.
Dec. 19, 2012
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Oct. 12, 2012.
- Granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's). American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/practice/clinical/patients/diseases_and_conditions/wegeners.asp. Accessed Oct. 12, 2012.
- Holle JU, et al. Clinical manifestations and treatment of Wegener's granulomatosis. Rheumatologic Disease Clinics of North America. 2010;36:507.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Oct. 12, 2012.
- Falk RJ, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Wegener's granulomatosis and microscopic polyangiitis. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Sept. 21, 2012.
- FDA approves Rituxan to treat two rare disorders. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm251946.htm. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.
- Langford CA. Update on the treatment of granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's). Current Treatment Options in Cardiovascular Medicine. 2012;14:164.
- Turnball J, et al. Adverse effects of therapy for ANCA-associated vasculitis. Best Practice and Research Clinical Rheumatology. 2009;23:391.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.