The cause of Wegener's granulomatosis is unknown. It appears to develop after an initial inflammation-causing event triggers an abnormal reaction from your immune system. The combination of these events can lead to inflamed, constricted blood vessels and harmful inflammatory tissue masses (granulomas). The triggering event may be an infection, but no specific infection has been identified as the cause.
Dec. 19, 2012
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Oct. 12, 2012.
- Granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's). American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/practice/clinical/patients/diseases_and_conditions/wegeners.asp. Accessed Oct. 12, 2012.
- Holle JU, et al. Clinical manifestations and treatment of Wegener's granulomatosis. Rheumatologic Disease Clinics of North America. 2010;36:507.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Oct. 12, 2012.
- Falk RJ, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Wegener's granulomatosis and microscopic polyangiitis. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Sept. 21, 2012.
- FDA approves Rituxan to treat two rare disorders. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm251946.htm. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.
- Langford CA. Update on the treatment of granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's). Current Treatment Options in Cardiovascular Medicine. 2012;14:164.
- Turnball J, et al. Adverse effects of therapy for ANCA-associated vasculitis. Best Practice and Research Clinical Rheumatology. 2009;23:391.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.