- Your Mayo Clinic care team. The treatment team for voice disorders at Mayo Clinic is usually led by an ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctor experienced in voice problems. He or she consults as needed with other specialists to develop a treatment plan that's right for you.
- Comprehensive care. Your treatment team may also include Ph.D.- and master's-level speech-language pathologists who specialize in evaluating and treating voice disorders. If you need help quitting smoking, the Mayo Clinic Nicotine Dependence Center offers programs to help you kick the smoking habit.
- Advanced diagnosis and treatment. Mayo Clinic uses the latest technology to accurately diagnose and treat voice disorders, including potassium titanyl phosphate (KTP) laser treatment done while you're awake. KTP laser treatment can allow the removal of vocal cord lesions while preserving the maximum amount of underlying tissue.
- Nationally recognized expertise. Mayo Clinic specialists have experience caring for people with all types of voice disorders. They have particular expertise in the microscopic removal of lesions on the vocal cords and in treating vocal cord paralysis. Mayo Clinic specialists treat more than 10,000 people with voice disorders each year.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for ear, nose and throat by U.S. News & World Report.
July 18, 2017
- Bruch JM. Hoarseness in adults. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 13, 2017.
- Vocal cord paralysis. National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders. https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/vocal-fold-paralysis. Accessed May 13, 2017.
- Voice reference guide. The Voice Foundation. http://voicefoundation.org/health-science/voice-disorders/. Accessed May 13, 2017.
- Common problems that can affect your voice. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/content/common-problems-can-affect-your-voice. Accessed May 14, 2017.
- Kallvik E, et al. Vocal symptoms and voice quality in children with allergy and asthma. Journal of Voice. In press. Accessed May 13, 2017.
- Mascarella MA, et al. In-office excision en masse of a vocal process granuloma using the potassium-titanyl-phosphate laser. Journal of Voice. 2016;30:93.
- Koss SL, et al. Serial in-office laser treatment of vocal fold leukoplakia: Disease control and voice outcomes. The Laryngoscope. In press. Accessed May 13, 2017.
- Warner KJ. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 3, 2017.
- Ekbom DC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 18, 2017.