Urinary tract infections, which are so common to vesicoureteral reflux, can be painful. But you can take steps to ease your child's discomfort until antibiotics clear the infection. They include:
Jun. 20, 2014
Encourage your child to drink fluids, particularly water. Drinking water dilutes urine and may help flush out bacteria.
Avoid juices and soft drinks containing citrus and caffeine until your child's infection has cleared. They can irritate the bladder and tend to aggravate the frequent or urgent need to urinate.
- Provide a warm blanket or towel. Place a towel or blanket in the dryer for a few minutes to warm it up. Be sure the towel or blanket is just warm, not hot, and then place it over your child's abdomen. The warmth can help minimize feelings of bladder pressure or pain.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 1, 2014.
- Vesicoureteral reflux. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/Kudiseases/pubs/vesicoureteralreflux/. Accessed April 1, 2014.
- Vesicoureteral reflux. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pediatrics/congenital_renal_and_genitourinary_anomalies/vesicoureteral_reflux.html. Accessed April 1, 2014.
- Urinary tract infection in adults. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://www.kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/utiadult/. Accessed April 1, 2014.
- Tekgul S, et al. EAU guidelines on vesicoureteral reflux in children. European Urology. 2012;62:534.
- Fever and your child. American Academy of Pediatrics. http://patiented.aap.org/content2.aspx?aid=5107. Accessed April 6, 2014.
- McLorie G, et al. Management of vesicoureteral reflux. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 3, 2014.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 6, 2014.
- Schmitt BD. Pediatric Telephone Protocols. 14th ed. Elk Grove Village, Ill.: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2013:120-124.
- McLorie G, et al. Presentation, diagnosis, and clinical course of vesicoureteral reflux. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 30, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.