Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, is caused by an abnormality in your heart's electrical impulses. Tachycardia can cause serious complications, including sudden cardiac arrest.
Tests and diagnosis
Echocardiogram allows your doctor to see your heart in motion. Here's what you need to know about the test.
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Treatments and drugs
Coronary angioplasty and stents can reopen clogged heart arteries if buildup of plaques is causing chest pain, shortness of breath or a heart attack.
Coronary bypass surgery is a procedure to treat blockage of blood to the heart muscle.
Nov. 01, 2014
- Ventricular fibrillation. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/AboutArrhythmia/Ventricular-Fibrillation_UCM_324063_Article.jsp. Accessed Sept. 3, 2014.
- Podrid PJ, et al. Clinical features and treatment of 5ventricular arrhythmias during acute myocardial infarction. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 3, 2014.
- What is an automated external defibrillator? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/aed/. Accessed Sept. 3, 2014.
- What is the heart? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/hhw/hhw_all.html. Accessed Sept. 6, 2014.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2014. 53rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookId=330. Accessed Sept. 6, 2014.