- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in blood vessel conditions (vascular specialists) have experience evaluating and treating people who have varicose veins. Vascular specialists treat hundreds of people each year who have varicose veins
- Team approach. Mayo Clinic vascular specialists work with doctors trained in skin conditions (dermatologists), imaging (radiologists), blood vessel surgery (vascular surgeons) and others to diagnose and treat your condition.
- Diagnostic tools. Mayo Clinic doctors use detailed imaging tests to accurately diagnose varicose veins, including ultrasound and other tests.
- Treatment expertise. Mayo Clinic vascular specialists have expertise in treating varicose veins with many options, including sclerotherapy, laser surgery, endovenous thermal ablation, vein stripping, endoscopic vein surgery and other procedures.
- Vascular centers. Each Mayo Clinic location offers a vascular center staffed by trained doctors and nurses who have experience treating vascular diseases. Vascular centers include the Gonda Vascular Center at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, and vascular centers at Mayo Clinic in Arizona and Florida.
- Research. Mayo Clinic researchers study potential treatments for varicose veins and other vascular conditions and conduct clinical trials
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Jan. 31, 2013
- Varicose veins. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/vv/. Accessed Oct. 16, 2012.
- Varicose veins. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/cardiovascular_disorders/peripheral_venous_disorders/varicose_veins.html. Accessed Oct. 16, 2012.
- Varicose veins and venous insufficiency. Society of Interventional Radiology. http://www.sirweb.org/patients/varicose-veins/. Accessed Oct. 16, 2012.
- Gloviczki P, et al. The care of patients with varicose veins and associated chronic venous diseases: Clinical practice guidelines of the Society for Vascular Surgery and the American Venous Forum. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 2011;53(suppl):2s.
- Murad MH, et al. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the treatments of varicose veins. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 2011;53(suppl):49S.
- Horse chestnut. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Nov. 14, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.