Your Mayo Clinic care team
For vaginal agenesis, your treatment team can include doctors specially trained to treat children and adolescents (pediatricians), female reproductive systems (gynecologists and urogynecologists) and intestinal problems (colorectal surgeons). Your treatment team works with you to find the most appropriate solution for your disorder.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic's experienced pediatricians and gynecologic and colorectal surgeons have worked together for many years treating girls and women who are born with developmental abnormalities.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for gynecology in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for gynecology by U.S. News & World Report.
April 25, 2017
- What is vaginal agenesis? Urology Care Foundation. http://www.urologyhealth.org/urologic-conditions/vaginal-abnormalities-vaginal-agenesis. Accessed Nov. 30, 2016.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Committee on Adolescent Health Care. Committee Opinion No. 562: Mullerian agenesis — Diagnosis, management and treatment. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2013;121:1134.
- Laufer MR. Diagnosis and management of congenital anomalies of the vagina. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 30, 2016.
- Moen MH. Vaginal agenesis treated by coital dilatation in 20 patients. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics. 2014;125:282.
- Oelschlager AMA, et al. Primary vaginal dilation for vaginal agenesis: Strategies to anticipate challenges and optimize outcomes. Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2016;28:345.