Your Mayo Clinic care team
At Mayo Clinic, gynecologists, radiologists and, when needed, fertility specialists and others work together to offer you options regarding your fibroid treatment. Mayo Clinic researchers study all aspects of uterine fibroids, including the epidemiology, economics and genetics of fibroids. Each year, Mayo Clinic doctors diagnose and treat more than 3,000 women with fibroids.
Advanced diagnosis and treatment
Mayo Clinic researchers investigate new diagnostic and treatment methods for uterine fibroids, such as research on genes and ways to use MRI scans to diagnose rare cancers that can mimic uterine fibroids. Mayo Clinic doctors also offer the most advanced treatment options, including uterine artery embolization and MRI-guided focused ultrasound ablation.
Mayo Clinic offers a range of services and treatments, based on your needs and preferences, focusing on the least invasive treatment whenever possible.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for gynecology in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for gynecology by U.S. News & World Report.
July 06, 2016
- Ferri FF. Uterine fibroids. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Segars JH, et al. Proceedings from the third National Institutes of Health International Congress on advances in uterine leiomyoma research: Comprehensive review, conference summary and future recommendations. Human Reproduction Update. 2014;20:309.
- Stewart EA. Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and natural history of uterine leiomyomas (fibroids). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Stewart EA. Uterine fibroids. New England Journal of Medicine. 2015;372:1646.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Pelvic mass. In: Williams Obstetrics. 24th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Papadakis MA, et al., eds. Gynecologic disorders. In: Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2016. 55th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2016 http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Stewart EA. Overview of treatment of uterine leiomyomas (fibroids). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Uterine fibroids. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com/. Accessed May 15, 2016.
- Liu JP, et al. Herbal preparations for uterine fibroids. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD005292.pub3/abstract. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Cook AJ. AllScripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 25, 2016.
- Stewart EA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 13, 2016.
- Jefferies A, et al. Modern management of uterine fibroids. Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine. 2016;26:127.
- Updated laparoscopic uterine power morcellation in hysterectomy and myomectomy: FDA safety communication. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/safety/alertsandnotices/ucm424443.htm. Accessed June 19, 2016.