Although researchers continue to study the causes of fibroid tumors, little scientific evidence is available on how to prevent them. Preventing uterine fibroids may not be possible, but only a small percentage of these tumors require treatment.
But, by making healthy lifestyle choices, such as maintaining a normal weight and eating fruits and vegetables, you may be able to decrease your fibroid risk.
Aug. 17, 2017
- Ferri FF. Uterine fibroids. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Segars JH, et al. Proceedings from the third National Institutes of Health International Congress on advances in uterine leiomyoma research: Comprehensive review, conference summary and future recommendations. Human Reproduction Update. 2014;20:309.
- Stewart EA. Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and natural history of uterine leiomyomas (fibroids). https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Stewart EA. Uterine fibroids. New England Journal of Medicine. 2015;372:1646.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Pelvic mass. In: Williams Obstetrics. 24th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Papadakis MA, et al., eds. Gynecologic disorders. In: Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2016. 55th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2016. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Stewart EA. Overview of treatment of uterine leiomyomas (fibroids). https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Uterine fibroids. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com/. Accessed May 15, 2016.
- Liu JP, et al. Herbal preparations for uterine fibroids. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD005292.pub3/abstract. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- Cook AJ. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 25, 2016.
- Stewart EA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 13, 2016.
- Jefferies A, et al. Modern management of uterine fibroids. Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine. 2016;26:127.
- Updated laparoscopic uterine power morcellation in hysterectomy and myomectomy: FDA safety communication. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/safety/alertsandnotices/ucm424443.htm. Accessed June 19, 2016.
- Laughlin-Tommaso SK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 15, 2017.