- Experience and expertise. Mayo Clinic doctors see more than 3,000 women a year who have uterine fibroids. These doctors have experience and expertise in diagnosing women who have uterine fibroids and providing the latest treatment, if necessary.
- Efficient care. Mayo Clinic coordinates your testing and doctor appointments to speed the process of diagnosis and treatment.
- Treatment tailored to your needs. Mayo Clinic offers a range of services and treatments, based on your needs and preferences, focusing on the least invasive treatment whenever possible.
- Multidisciplinary team. At Mayo Clinic, gynecologists, radiologists and, when needed, fertility specialists and others work together to offer you options regarding your fibroid treatment.
- Cutting-edge clinical research. Because there are many unanswered questions about uterine fibroids, Mayo Clinic physicians are studying new approaches to give women with uterine fibroids better choices in the future.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Why choose Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for gynecology in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for gynecology, and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for gynecology by U.S. News & World Report.
April 09, 2014
- Stewart EA. Overview of treatment of uterine leiomyomas (fibroids). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 7, 2013.
- Stewart EA. Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and natural history of uterine leiomyomas (fibroids). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 7, 2013.
- Stewart EA. Histology and pathogenesis of uterine leiomyomas (fibroids). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 7, 2013.
- Laughlin SK, et al. Uterine leiomyomas: Individualizing the approach to a heterogeneous condition. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2011;117:396.
- Frequently asked questions. Gynecologic problems FAQ074. Uterine fibroids. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq074.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20130423T1546469165. Accessed April 23, 2013.
- Kim D, et al. Uterine leiomyoma (fibroid) embolization. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 6, 2013.
- Stewart EA. New science will move fibroid therapies into the 21st century. Fertility and Sterility. 2012;98:604.
- Islam S, et al. Uterine leiomyoma: Available medical treatments and new possible therapeutic options. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2013;98:921.
- Van der Kooij, et al. Review of nonsurgical/minimally invasive treatments for uterine fibroids. Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2012;24:368.
- Uterine fibroid symptoms, diagnosis and treatment. Society of Interventional Radiology. http://www.sirweb.org/patients/uterine-fibroids/. Accessed May 7, 2013.
- Hesley GK, et al. MR-guided focused ultrasound for the treatment of uterine fibroids. CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology. 2013;36:5.
- Frequently asked questions. Special procedures FAQ084. Hysteroscopy. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq084.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20130507T1056219214. Accessed May 7, 2013.
- Liu JP, et al. Herbal preparations for uterine fibroids. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD005292.pub3/abstract. Accessed May 7, 2013.
- Pundir J, et al. Robotic-assisted laparoscopic vs. abdominal and laparoscopic myomectomy: Systematic review and meta-analysis. The Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology. In press. Accessed April 17, 2013.
- Stewart EA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 31, 2013.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 15, 2013.
- Gallenberg MM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 14, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.