Normal urine color ranges from pale yellow to deep amber — the result of a pigment called urochrome and how diluted or concentrated the urine is.
Pigments and other compounds in certain foods and medications may change your urine color. Beets, berries and fava beans are among the foods most likely to affect urine color. Many over-the-counter and prescription medications give urine vivid tones, such as raspberry red, lemon yellow or greenish blue.
An unusual urine color can be a sign of disease. For instance, deep red to brown urine is an identifying characteristic of porphyria, a rare, inherited disorder of red blood cells.
March 14, 2015
- Wein AJ, et al. Evaluation of the urologic patient. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Buttaravoli P, et al. Colorful urine. In: Minor Emergencies. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Wald R. Urinalysis in the diagnosis of kidney disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- McPherson RA, et al. Basic examination of urine. In: Henry's Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods. 22nd ed. Philadelphia. Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Viswanathan S. Urine bag as a modern day matula. ISRN Nephrology. 2013:215690.
- Hooton TM, et al. Acute uncomplicated cystitis and pyelonephritis in women. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 12, 2015.
- Feldman AS, et al. Etiology and evaluation of hematuria in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 12, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Brown urine. In: Ferri's Differential Diagnosis: A Practical Guide to the Differential Diagnosis of Symptoms, Signs and Clinical Disorders. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011:82.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. Feb. 20, 2015.
- Kidney stones in adults. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/stonesadults/index.aspx. Accessed Feb. 19, 2015.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 20, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.