If you're embarrassed about having a bladder control problem, you may try to cope on your own — wearing absorbent pads, carrying extra clothes, avoiding going out. You may even cut back on drinking liquids — and risk dehydration — to avoid wetting episodes.
But there are better ways to manage urinary incontinence, and effective treatments are available. That's why it's important to see your doctor and ask about treatment. You'll be on your way to regaining an active and confident life — and control of your bladder.
Jun. 25, 2011
- Urinary incontinence. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/sec17/ch228/ch228b.html. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- Urinary incontinence in women. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/pdf/UI-Women.pdf. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- DuBeau CE. Epidemiology, risk factors, and pathogenesis of urinary incontinence. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- DuBeau CE. Treatment of urinary incontinence. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- Quentin Clemins J. Urinary incontinence in men. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- Deng DY. Urinary incontinence in women. Medical Clinics of North America. 2011; 95:101.
- Fong E. Urinary incontinence. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2010;37:599.
- Incontinence. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- Hartmann KE, et al. Treatment of Overactive Bladder in Women. Rockville, Md.: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK32542/. Accessed April 28, 2011.
- Nygaard A. Idiopathic urgency urinary incontinence. New England Journal of Medicine. 2010;363:1156.
- Urgent PC. Uroplasty Inc. http://www.uroplasty.com/patients/urgentpc. Accessed May 11, 2011.
- Clinician training & resources FAQ. FemSoft insert: Instructions for women. http://www.femsofttraining.com. Accessed June 17, 2011.
- Douglas Husmann, M.D.
- Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2007 Aug;18(8):895-900. Epub 2006 Nov 30. Transobturator tape procedure outcome: a clinical and quality of life analysis of a 1-year follow-up.