Find out how acupuncture works, who should avoid it and what conditions it can treat.
You normally lose about 10 cups (2.4 liters) of water every day — much more during exercise or illness. Learn how to stay hydrated.
Proctitis is an inflammation of the lining of the rectum.
Lifestyle and home remedies
Eat more fiber. You've probably heard it before. But do you know why fiber is so good for your health?
Stressed out? Try meditation. Learn easy, quick techniques that you can use at work, waiting in line or virtually anywhere.
Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Tests and diagnosis
Has your doctor recommended a flexible sigmoidoscopy exam? Here's what you need to know about preparation and the exam itself.
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
Sep. 09, 2014
- Ulcerative colitis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/colitis/. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- Ulcerative colitis. The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/sec02/ch018/ch018c.html. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- What is ulcerative colitis? Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America. http://www.ccfa.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-ulcerative-colitis/. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- Barrett KE, et al. Pharmacological aspects of therapy in inflammatory bowel diseases: Antidiarrheal agents. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology. 1988;10:57.
- Dignass A, et al. Second European evidence-based consensus on the diagnosis and management of ulcerative colitis part 1: Definitions and diagnosis. Journal of Crohn's and Colitis. 2012;6:965.
- Peppercorn MA, et al. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and prognosis of ulcerative colitis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- Sandborn WJ, et al. Colectomy rate comparison after treatment of ulcerative colitis with placebo or infliximab. Gastroenterology. 2009;137:1250.
- Kornbluth A, et al. Ulcerative colitis practice guidelines in adults: American College of Gastroenterology, Practice Parameters Committee. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2010;105:501.
- Dignass A, et al. Second European evidence-based consensus on the diagnosis and management of ulcerative colitis part 2: Current management. Journal of Crohn's and Colitis. 2012;6:991.
- Carter MJ, et al. Guidelines for the management of inflammatory bowel disease in adults. Gut. 2004;53:v1.
- Cohen RD, et al. Approach to adults with steroid-refractory and steroid-dependent ulcerative colitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 7, 2014.
- Inflammatory bowel disease. U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ibd/. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 16, 2014.
- Colorectal cancer screening guidelines. U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/colorectal/basic_info/screening/guidelines.htm. Accessed July 12, 2011.
- Living with Crohn's and Colitis. Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America. http://www.ccfa.org/living-with-crohns-colitis/. Accessed June 2, 2014.
- What is complementary and alternative medicine (CAM)? International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders. http://www.iffgd.org/store/viewproduct/700. Accessed June 25, 2014.
- Sartor RB. Probiotics for gastrointestinal diseases. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 10, 2014.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 4, 2014.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2013-2014. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/gastroenterology-and-gi-surgery. Accessed July 5, 2014.
- Etminan M, et al. Isotretinoin and risk for inflammatory bowel disease: A nested case-control study and meta-analysis of published and unpublished data. JAMA Dermatology. 2013;149:216.
- Leong RW, et al. Implementation of image enhanced endoscopy into solo and group practices for dysplasia detection in Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America. 2014;24:419.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. July 12, 2014.
- Bruining DH, et al. Technology insight: New techniques for imaging the gut in patients with IBD. Nature Clinical Practice Gastroenterology & Hepatology. 2008;5:154.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.