Each year, Mayo Clinic doctors diagnose and treat more than 4,000 adults and children who have ulcerative colitis.
The Inflammatory Bowel Disease Clinic at Mayo Clinic focuses specifically on people with ulcerative colitis and other inflammatory bowel diseases. In addition to routine clinical care, Mayo Clinic doctors are actively involved in research and can provide investigational drug therapy with a variety of drugs for patients who do not respond to standard medical therapy.
Mayo Clinic research scientists and doctors are continually developing new methods for diagnosing and treating ulcerative colitis. For example, Mayo colorectal surgeons pioneered the procedure to remove the diseased colon and rectum and reconnect the intestines to the anus (ileal pouch anal anastomosis) so that a person can continue to eliminate wastes normally. Mayo Clinic patients also have access to clinical trials of new treatments for ulcerative colitis.
July 28, 2017
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Inflammatory bowel disease. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- Feldman M, et al. Ulcerative colitis. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 20, 2017.
- What is ulcerative colitis? Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America. http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-ulcerative-colitis/. Accessed June 20, 2017.
- Ulcerative colitis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/ulcerative-colitis. Accessed June 20, 2017.
- Ungaro R, et al. Ulcerative colitis. The Lancet. 2017;389:1756.
- MacDermott RP. Management of mild to moderate ulcerative colitis in adults. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed June 20, 2017.
- Peppercorn MA, et al. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and prognosis of ulcerative colitis in adults. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed June 20, 2017.
- Ferri FF. Ulcerative colitis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2018. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2018. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 20, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. Chronic ulcerative colitis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2017.
- Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). Crohn's and Colitis Foundation. http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/resources/complementary-alternative.html. Accessed June 21, 2017.
- Inflammatory bowel disease. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed June 21, 2017.
- Yanai H, et al. Complementary therapies in inflammatory bowel diseases. Current Gastroenterology Reports. 2016;18:62.
- Diet, nutrition, and inflammatory bowel disease. Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America. http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/. Accessed May 15, 2017.
- Brown A. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 3, 2017.
- Rajan E (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 4, 2017.