Mayo Clinic research scientists and doctors are continually developing new methods for diagnosing and treating ulcerative colitis. Mayo Clinic radiologists were instrumental in developing novel imaging techniques for bowel disorders, including CT enterography and MR enterography. Mayo Clinic researchers were involved in studies showing that infixlimab helped reduce the need for surgery for people with ulcerative colitis.
The Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery at Mayo Clinic also is well known for developing minimally invasive surgical techniques for ulcerative colitis. Mayo Clinic researchers have been involved in studies of chromoendoscopy, a better way to look for precancerous changes associated with ulcerative colitis.
Mayo Clinic gastroenterologists discuss inflammatory bowel disease, including ulcerative colitis, on YouTube.
See related videos
See a list of publications by Mayo authors on ulcerative colitis on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Sept. 09, 2014
- David H. Bruining, M.D.
- William A. Faubion, M.D.
- Deborah K. Freese, M.D.
- Suryakanth (Suryakanth Reddy) R. Gurudu, M.D.
- Sunanda V. Kane, M.D.
- Jonathan A. Leighton, M.D.
- Edward V. Loftus Jr., M.D.
- Darrell S. Pardi, M.D.
- Michael F. Picco, M.D.
- Kenneth W. Schroeder, M.D., Ph.D.
- William J. Tremaine, M.D.
- Ulcerative colitis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/colitis/. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- Ulcerative colitis. The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/sec02/ch018/ch018c.html. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- What is ulcerative colitis? Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America. http://www.ccfa.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-ulcerative-colitis/. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- Barrett KE, et al. Pharmacological aspects of therapy in inflammatory bowel diseases: Antidiarrheal agents. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology. 1988;10:57.
- Dignass A, et al. Second European evidence-based consensus on the diagnosis and management of ulcerative colitis part 1: Definitions and diagnosis. Journal of Crohn's and Colitis. 2012;6:965.
- Peppercorn MA, et al. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and prognosis of ulcerative colitis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- Sandborn WJ, et al. Colectomy rate comparison after treatment of ulcerative colitis with placebo or infliximab. Gastroenterology. 2009;137:1250.
- Kornbluth A, et al. Ulcerative colitis practice guidelines in adults: American College of Gastroenterology, Practice Parameters Committee. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2010;105:501.
- Dignass A, et al. Second European evidence-based consensus on the diagnosis and management of ulcerative colitis part 2: Current management. Journal of Crohn's and Colitis. 2012;6:991.
- Carter MJ, et al. Guidelines for the management of inflammatory bowel disease in adults. Gut. 2004;53:v1.
- Cohen RD, et al. Approach to adults with steroid-refractory and steroid-dependent ulcerative colitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 7, 2014.
- Inflammatory bowel disease. U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ibd/. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 16, 2014.
- Colorectal cancer screening guidelines. U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/colorectal/basic_info/screening/guidelines.htm. Accessed July 12, 2011.
- Living with Crohn's and Colitis. Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America. http://www.ccfa.org/living-with-crohns-colitis/. Accessed June 2, 2014.
- What is complementary and alternative medicine (CAM)? International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders. http://www.iffgd.org/store/viewproduct/700. Accessed June 25, 2014.
- Sartor RB. Probiotics for gastrointestinal diseases. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 10, 2014.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 4, 2014.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2013-2014. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/gastroenterology-and-gi-surgery. Accessed July 5, 2014.
- Etminan M, et al. Isotretinoin and risk for inflammatory bowel disease: A nested case-control study and meta-analysis of published and unpublished data. JAMA Dermatology. 2013;149:216.
- Leong RW, et al. Implementation of image enhanced endoscopy into solo and group practices for dysplasia detection in Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America. 2014;24:419.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. July 12, 2014.
- Bruining DH, et al. Technology insight: New techniques for imaging the gut in patients with IBD. Nature Clinical Practice Gastroenterology & Hepatology. 2008;5:154.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.