If you have diabetes and you're thinking about having a baby, preconception planning is crucial. Understand how to prepare for pregnancy.
Lifestyle and home remedies
Interested in the Atkins Diet but not sure what it's about? Get the details and a sample menu, plus pros and cons.
Curious about exercise and chronic disease? Get the answers to your questions.
Changing your lifestyle could be a big step toward diabetes prevention — and it's never too late to start.
Think getting by on a few hours of sleep is no big deal? Think again.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Unexplained weight loss: Symptom — Overview covers possible causes of unexplained weight loss.
Tests and diagnosis
Regular A1C tests can help your doctor monitor your diabetes. Find out how often you need A1C tests and what the results mean for you.
Eye exam — Overview covers definition, what to expect and results of vision testing.
Glucose tolerance test — Overview covers definition, preparation, results of this diabetes blood test.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Treatments and drugs
Proponents say you can lose weight by choosing low-glycemic foods. See how the claims stack up.
Jan. 25, 2013
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Sept. 23, 2012.
- Diabetes mellitus (DM). The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec12/ch158/ch158b.html#sec12-ch158-ch158b-1105. Accessed Sept. 30, 2012.
- Inzucchi SE, et al. Management of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes: A patient-centered approach. Diabetes Care. 2012;35:1364.
- Standards of medical care in diabetes — 2013. Diabetes Care. 2013:36:S1.
- Bonoro E, et al. The pros and cons of diagnosing diabetes with A1C. Diabetes Care. 2011;34:S184.
- Your guide to diabetes: Type 1 and type 2. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/type1and2/index.htm. Accessed Sept. 23, 2012.
- Screening for type 2 diabetes mellitus in adults. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf08/type2/type2rs.htm. Accessed Sept. 23, 2012.
- Diabetes statistics. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-statistics. Accessed Sept. 23, 2012.
- What people with diabetes need to know about osteoporosis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Bone/Osteoporosis/Conditions_Behaviors/diabetes.asp. Sept. 23, 2011.
- Mazzola N. Review of current and emerging therapies in type 2 diabetes mellitus. American Journal of Managed Care. 2012;18:S17.
- Take charge of your diabetes. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/tcyd/vaccin.htm. Accessed Sept. 30, 2012.
- Hyperosmolar hyperglycemic nonketotic syndrome (HHNS). American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/hyperosmolar-hyperglycemic.html. Accessed Sept. 19, 2012.
- Dixon JB, et al. Bariatric surgery: An IDF statement for obese type 2 diabetes. Arquivos Brasileiros de Endocrinologia & Metabologia. 2011;55:367.
- Before pregnancy. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/pregnant-women/before-pregnancy.html. Accessed Sept. 30, 2012.
- Helzner EP, et al. Contribution of vascular risk factors to the progression in Alzheimer disease. Archives of Neurology. 2009;66:343.
- Bainbridge KE. Diabetes and hearing impairment in the United States: Audiometric evidence from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999 to 2004. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2008;149:1.
- Schauer PR, et al. Bariatric surgery vs. intense medical therapy in obese patients with diabetes. New England Journal of Medicine. 2012;366:1567.
- Mingrone G, et al. Bariatric surgery vs. conventional medical therapy for type 2 diabetes. New England Journal of Medicine. 2012;366:1577.
- A1C. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/a1c/?keymatch=a1c. Accessed Oct. 1, 2012.