Type 2 diabetes in children is a chronic condition that affects the way your child's body metabolizes sugar (glucose).
Type 2 diabetes is a disease more commonly associated with adults. In fact, it used to be called adult-onset diabetes. But type 2 diabetes in children is on the rise, fueled largely by the obesity epidemic.
There's plenty you can do to help manage or prevent type 2 diabetes in children. Encourage your child to eat healthy foods, get plenty of physical activity and maintain a healthy weight. If diet and exercise aren't enough to control type 2 diabetes in children, oral medication or insulin treatment may be needed.
May 03, 2014
- Be healthy today; be healthy for life. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/parents-and-kids/children-and-type-2/. Accessed Nov. 5, 2013.
- Flint A, et al. Treatment of type 2 diabetes in youth. Diabetes Care. 2011;34:S177.
- Position statement: Standards of medical care in diabetes — 2014. Diabetes Care. 2014;37(1):S14.
- Scollan-Koliopoulos M, et al. The evaluation and management of childhood type 2 diabetes mellitus. Primary Care Diabetes. 2011;5:151.
- Diabetes mellitus(DM). The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine_and_metabolic_disorders/diabetes_mellitus_and_disorders_of_carbohydrate_metabolism/diabetes_mellitus_dm.html. Accessed Nov. 8, 2013.
- Copeland KC, et al. Management of newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) in children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 2013;131:364.
- Your guide to diabetes: Type 1 and type 2. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/type1and2/. Accessed Nov. 9, 2013.
- Laffel L, et al. Management of type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 9, 2013.
- Ketoacidosis. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/type-1-diabetes/ketoacidosis.jsp. Accessed Nov. 9, 2013.
- Diabetes. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Nov. 9, 2013.