Numerous substances have been shown in some studies to improve insulin sensitivity, yet other studies have failed to find any benefit for blood sugar control or in lowering A1C levels. Because of the conflicting findings, no alternative therapies are currently recommended for diabetes control.
If you'd like to try an alternative therapy for your child, discuss this with a doctor who is familiar with these alternative treatments. It's important to check with your child's doctor first to be sure that whatever treatment you'd like to try won't be harmful or cause an adverse reaction with other medications your child may be taking.
It's also important not to stop giving your child any prescribed medications, especially insulin, without first consulting your child's doctor.
May 03, 2014
- Be healthy today; be healthy for life. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/parents-and-kids/children-and-type-2/. Accessed Nov. 5, 2013.
- Flint A, et al. Treatment of type 2 diabetes in youth. Diabetes Care. 2011;34:S177.
- Position statement: Standards of medical care in diabetes — 2014. Diabetes Care. 2014;37(1):S14.
- Scollan-Koliopoulos M, et al. The evaluation and management of childhood type 2 diabetes mellitus. Primary Care Diabetes. 2011;5:151.
- Diabetes mellitus(DM). The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine_and_metabolic_disorders/diabetes_mellitus_and_disorders_of_carbohydrate_metabolism/diabetes_mellitus_dm.html. Accessed Nov. 8, 2013.
- Copeland KC, et al. Management of newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) in children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 2013;131:364.
- Your guide to diabetes: Type 1 and type 2. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/type1and2/. Accessed Nov. 9, 2013.
- Laffel L, et al. Management of type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 9, 2013.
- Ketoacidosis. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/type-1-diabetes/ketoacidosis.jsp. Accessed Nov. 9, 2013.
- Diabetes. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Nov. 9, 2013.