Regular A1C tests can help your doctor monitor your diabetes. Find out how often you need A1C tests and what the results mean for you.
You may have a blood pressure test as a part of a routine doctor's appointment or to check for high blood pressure or heart disease.
If you have diabetes and you're thinking about having a baby, preconception planning is crucial. Understand how to prepare for pregnancy.
Curious about exercise and chronic disease? Get the answers to your questions.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Frequent urination, the need to urinate more often than usual, can indicate several disorders of the urinary tract.
A pancreas transplant offers a potential cure for type 1 diabetes in people whose diabetes can't be controlled with standard treatment.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Aug. 02, 2014
- Standards of medical care in diabetes — 2014. Diabetes Care. 2014;37:s14.
- Papadakis MA, ed., et al. Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment 2014. 53rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed April 27, 2014.
- Atkinson MA, et al. Type 1 diabetes. The Lancet. 2014;383:69.
- Levitsky LL, et al. Epidemiology, presentation, and diagnosis of type 1 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 27, 2014.
- Diabetes mellitus (DM). The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine_and_metabolic_disorders/diabetes_mellitus_and_disorders_of_carbohydrate_metabolism/diabetes_mellitus_dm.html. Accessed April 29, 2014.
- Peyser T, et al. The artificial pancreas: Current status and future prospects in the management of diabetes. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2014;1311:102.
- Bergenstal RM, et al. Threshold-based insulin-pump interruption for reduction of hypoglycemia. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;369:224.
- Levitsky LL, et al. Special situations in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 27, 2014.
- Hyperglycemia (High blood glucose). American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/hyperglycemia.html. Accessed April 29, 2014.
- DKA (ketoacidosis) and ketones. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/ketoacidosis-dka.html. Accessed April 29, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.