The cause of trichotillomania is unclear. But like many complex disorders, trichotillomania probably results from a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Also, abnormalities in the natural brain chemicals serotonin and dopamine may play a role in trichotillomania.
Feb. 13, 2014
- Obsessive-compulsive and related disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed Aug. 27, 2013.
- Highlights of changes from DSM-IV-TR to DSM-5. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/changes%20from%20dsm-iv-tr%20to%20dsm-5.pdf. Accessed Aug. 27, 2013.
- Woods DW. Treating trichotillomania across the lifespan. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2013;52:223.
- Wong JW, et al. Primary psychiatric conditions: Dermatitis artefacta, trichotillomania and neurotic excoriations. Indian Journal of Dermatology. 2013;58:44.
- Gude D, et al. Comprehending trichotillomania. International Journal of Trichology. 2012;4:100.
- Gupta S, et al. Habit reversal training for trichotillomania. International Journal of Trichology. 2012;4:39.
- Morris SH, et al. Habit reversal training in trichotillomania: Guide for the clinician. Expert Reviewers: Neurotherapeutics. http://www.expert-reviews.com. Accessed Aug. 27, 2013.
- Whiteside SP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 2, 2013.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 4, 2013.
- Kaplan A. Update on trichotillomania. Psychiatric Times. http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/apa2012/update-trichotillomania. Accessed Oct. 4, 2013.
- Dean O, et al. N-acetylcysteine in psychiatry: Current therapeutic evidence and potential mechanisms of action. Journal of Psychiatry and Neurosciences. 2011;36:78.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.