ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Pregnant women who have trichomoniasis may:
- Deliver prematurely
- Have a baby with a low birth weight
- Transmit the infection to the baby as he or she passes through the birth canal
Having trichomoniasis also appears to make it easier for women to become infected with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.
March 21, 2015
- Sobel JD. Trichomoniasis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 23, 2015.
- Trichomoniasis fact sheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/STD/Trichomonas/STDFact-Trichomoniasis.htm. Accessed Jan. 23, 2015.
- Hobbs MM, et al. Modern diagnosis of trichomonas vaginalis infection. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2013;89:434.