Tests and diagnosis

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Your dentist usually can diagnose trench mouth by examining your teeth and gums. Sometimes you may need dental X-rays to determine whether bone loss has occurred as a result of the infection.

If it's not known why you developed trench mouth, your dentist will refer you to your primary care doctor for additional exams or blood tests. This can help determine if you have any undiagnosed medical conditions, particularly HIV, that may have promoted your trench mouth.

April 09, 2013