Signs and symptoms of trench mouth can include:
- Severe gum pain
- Bleeding from gums when they're pressed even slightly
- Red or swollen gums
- Pain when eating or swallowing
- Gray film on your gums
- Crater-like sores (ulcers) between your teeth and on your gums
- Foul taste in your mouth
- Bad breath
- Fever and fatigue (malaise)
- Swollen lymph nodes around your head, neck or jaw
When to see a dentist
Trench mouth symptoms can develop quickly. See your dentist immediately if you develop any symptoms. Often these may be symptoms of a gum problem other than trench mouth, such as another form of gingivitis or a gum infection called periodontitis.
All forms of gum disease can be serious, and most tend to get worse without treatment. The sooner you seek care, the better your chance of returning your gums to a healthy state and preventing permanent loss of teeth and destruction of bone or other tissue.
April 09, 2013
- Murrell GL. Trench mouth. Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. 2010;143:599.
- Wilder RS, et al. Gingivitis and periodontitis in adults: Classification and dental treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- Gingivitis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec08/ch095/ch095c.html?qt=trench%20mouth&alt=sh. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- Baumgartner A, et al. The phylum Synergistetes in gingivitis and necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis. Journal of Medical Microbiology. 2012;61:1600.
- Tips for coping with stress. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pub/coping_with_stress_tips.html. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- Li AW, et al. The effects of yoga on anxiety and stress. Alternative Medicine Review. 2012;17:21.
- Sheridan PJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 8, 2013.
- Koka S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 21, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.