Complications and problems that trench mouth may cause or be associated with include:
April 09, 2013
- Trouble eating and swallowing due to pain
- Pain when brushing teeth
- Temporary or permanent destruction of gum tissue
- Tooth loss due to severely damaged bone
- Murrell GL. Trench mouth. Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. 2010;143:599.
- Wilder RS, et al. Gingivitis and periodontitis in adults: Classification and dental treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- Gingivitis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec08/ch095/ch095c.html?qt=trench%20mouth&alt=sh. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- Baumgartner A, et al. The phylum Synergistetes in gingivitis and necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis. Journal of Medical Microbiology. 2012;61:1600.
- Tips for coping with stress. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pub/coping_with_stress_tips.html. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- Li AW, et al. The effects of yoga on anxiety and stress. Alternative Medicine Review. 2012;17:21.
- Sheridan PJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 8, 2013.
- Koka S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 21, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.