Want to avoid illness? Wash your hands! Consider simple hand-washing tips.
Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Sick to your stomach? Nausea and vomiting usually pass quickly but sometimes result from long-term or serious conditions.
Treatments and drugs
Antibiotics can save lives. Used inappropriately, however, they may cause more harm than good.
Jun. 11, 2013
- Wanke CA. Travelers' diarrhea. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 3, 2013.
- Travelers' diarrhea: Self-treatable conditions. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-2-the-pre-travel-consultation/travelers-diarrhea.htm. Accessed April 3, 2013.
- Travelers' diarrhea. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/travelersdiarrhea_g.htm. Accessed April 3, 2013.
- Auerbach PS. Wilderness Medicine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1678-8..00062-3&isbn=978-1-4377-1678-8&sid=1411680414&uniqId=403732597-9#4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1678-8..00062-3--s0040. Accessed April 3, 2013.
- Kollaritsch H, et al. Traveler's diarrhea. Infectious Disease Clinics of North America. 2012;26:691.
- Diarrhea. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/diarrhea/#treated. Accessed March 27, 2013.
- Water disinfection for travelers. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-2-the-pre-travel-consultation/water-disinfection-for-travelers.htm. Accessed April 3, 2013.
- Food and water precautions. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-2-the-pre-travel-consultation/food-and-water-precautions.htm. Accessed April 3, 2013.