Traveler's diarrhea is a digestive tract disorder that commonly causes loose stools and abdominal cramps. It's caused by eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water. Fortunately, traveler's diarrhea usually isn't serious — it's just unpleasant.
When you visit a place where the climate or sanitary practices are different from yours at home, you have an increased risk of developing traveler's diarrhea.
To reduce your risk of traveler's diarrhea, be careful about what you eat and drink while traveling. If you do develop traveler's diarrhea, chances are it will resolve without treatment. However, it's a good idea to have doctor-approved medications with you when you travel to high-risk areas in case diarrhea persists.
Oct. 04, 2016
- Wanke CA. Travelers' diarrhea: Microbiology, epidemiology, and prevention. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 21, 2016.
- Moore KS. Travelers' diarrhea: Risk reduction and management. The Nurse Practitioner. 2015;40:1.
- Travelers' diarrhea: Self-treatable conditions. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-2-the-pre-travel-consultation/travelers-diarrhea.htm. Accessed Aug. 21, 2016.
- Steffen R, et al. Traveler's diarrhea: A clinical review. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2015;313:71.
- Diarrhea. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/digestive-diseases/diarrhea/Pages/facts.aspx#what. Accessed Aug. 24, 2016.
- Zaidi D, et al. An update on travelers' diarrhea. Current Opinion in Gastroenterology. 2015;31:7.
- Food and water safety. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Accessed Aug. 22, 2016.
- Wanke CA. Travelers' diarrhea: Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 21, 2016.
- Food and water precautions. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-2-the-pre-travel-consultation/food-and-water-precautions.htm. Accessed Aug. 22, 2016.
- Water disinfection for travelers. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-2-the-pre-travel-consultation/water-disinfection-for-travelers.htm. Accessed Aug. 24, 2016.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 29, 2016.