If you develop toxic shock syndrome, you'll likely be hospitalized. In the hospital, you'll:

  • Be treated with antibiotics while doctors seek the infection source
  • Receive medication to stabilize your blood pressure if it's low (hypotension) and fluids to treat dehydration
  • Receive supportive care to treat other signs and symptoms

The toxins produced by the staph or strep bacteria and accompanying hypotension may result in kidney failure. If your kidneys fail, you may need dialysis.


Surgery may be necessary to remove nonliving tissue (debridement) from the site of infection or to drain the infection.