A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
How often do you need to replace your toothbrush? Is mouth rinse necessary? Get the facts on how to keep your smile healthy.
Swollen lymph nodes usually indicate an infection, particularly in children. However, there are many causes, ranging from the common cold to cancer.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
Feb. 07, 2013
- Yadav S, et al. Facial necrotizing fasciitis from an odontogenic infection. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology. 2012;113:e1.
- Levi ME, et al. Oral infections and antibiotic therapy. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America. 2011;44:57.
- Oral health fact sheet N°318. World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs318/en/. Accessed Dec. 27, 2012.
- Root canal. American Dental Association. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/r/root-canals.aspx. Accessed Dec. 27, 2012.
- Toothache and infection. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dental_disorders/symptoms_of_dental_and_oral_disorders/toothache_and_infection.html. Accessed Dec. 27, 2012.
- Cavities. American Dental Association. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/c/cavities.aspx. Accessed Dec. 27, 2012.
- Brushing your teeth. American Dental Association. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/b/brushing-your-teeth.aspx. Accessed Dec. 27, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the primary causes of a dental abscess? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. When should patients with a dental abscess be referred for evaluation or treatment? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. When are patients with a dental abscess considered for operative procedures? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Sheridan PJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 21, 2013.
- Roberts JR, et al. Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3623-4..00065-1&isbn=978-1-4160-3623-4&sid=1401051032&uniqId=397705187-6#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3623-4..00065-1. Accessed Jan. 22, 2013.
- Carr AB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 21, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.