A tooth abscess won't go away without treatment. If the abscess ruptures, the pain may decrease significantly — but you still need dental treatment. If the abscess doesn't drain, the infection may spread to your jaw and to other areas of your head and neck. You might even develop sepsis — a life-threatening infection that spreads throughout your body.
If you have a weakened immune system and you leave a tooth abscess untreated, your risk of a spreading infection increases even more.
Feb. 07, 2013
- Yadav S, et al. Facial necrotizing fasciitis from an odontogenic infection. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology. 2012;113:e1.
- Levi ME, et al. Oral infections and antibiotic therapy. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America. 2011;44:57.
- Oral health fact sheet N°318. World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs318/en/. Accessed Dec. 27, 2012.
- Root canal. American Dental Association. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/r/root-canals.aspx. Accessed Dec. 27, 2012.
- Toothache and infection. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dental_disorders/symptoms_of_dental_and_oral_disorders/toothache_and_infection.html. Accessed Dec. 27, 2012.
- Cavities. American Dental Association. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/c/cavities.aspx. Accessed Dec. 27, 2012.
- Brushing your teeth. American Dental Association. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/b/brushing-your-teeth.aspx. Accessed Dec. 27, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the primary causes of a dental abscess? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. When should patients with a dental abscess be referred for evaluation or treatment? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. When are patients with a dental abscess considered for operative procedures? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Sheridan PJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 21, 2013.
- Roberts JR, et al. Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3623-4..00065-1&isbn=978-1-4160-3623-4&sid=1401051032&uniqId=397705187-6#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3623-4..00065-1. Accessed Jan. 22, 2013.
- Carr AB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 21, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.