- Collaboration. At Mayo Clinic, ear, nose and throat specialists (otorhinolaryngologists) form a multidisciplinary team with experts in radiation oncology, oncology, plastic and reconstructive surgery, pathology, radiology, and rehabilitation medicine in order to provide whole-person care for people with tonsil cancer. Other professionals are included as needed.
- Experience. Each year, Mayo Clinic doctors care for more than 300 people with tonsil cancer. The experience and expertise ensures that your care team is prepared with the knowledge and resources to provide you with exactly the care you need.
- Access to the latest. Mayo Clinic doctors have access to the latest technology for treating tonsil cancer. Examples include transoral robotic surgery and intensity-modulated radiation therapy.
Innovative approach to treatment. Most tonsil cancers diagnosed at Mayo Clinic are associated with human papillomavirus (HPV), which has a profound effect on tonsil cancer prognosis. For this reason, Mayo Clinic doctors test all tonsil cancers for HPV.
Mayo Clinic doctors are studying new treatment protocols for people with HPV-associated tonsil cancers that reduce the amount of treatment given and lower the risk of treatment side effects, without sacrificing cure rates.
- A full range of treatment options to consider. Mayo Clinic doctors will work with you to review all of your treatment options and choose the treatment that best suits your needs and goals. The range of treatments offered to people with tonsil cancer includes surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy. You may also choose to enroll in a clinical trial.
- Comprehensive cancer center. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets strict standards for a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center, which recognizes scientific excellence and a multidisciplinary approach to cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for ear, nose and throat by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for ear, nose and throat by U.S. News & World Report.
Nov. 12, 2014
- Flint PW, et al. Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 9, 2014.
- Shah JP, et al. Jatin Shah's Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 9, 2014.
- Oropharyngeal cancer treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/oropharyngeal/HealthProfessional. Accessed Sept. 9, 2014.
- Head and neck cancer. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Sept. 9, 2014.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 7, 2014.
- Moore EJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota. Sept. 29, 2014.