Preparing for your appointmentBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Here's some information to help you get ready for your appointment and know what to expect from your doctor.
What you can do
Prepare a list of questions to help you make the most of your time with the doctor. For tongue-tie, you might ask:
- How severe is the tongue-tie?
- Is treatment needed?
- What are the treatment options?
- Should I consider surgical correction?
- What's involved in surgical correction? What are the risks?
- Is anesthesia necessary?
- Will surgical correction improve my child's ability to get more milk during breast-feeding?
- Can the procedure be done in the office or hospital nursery?
- Do I need to consult an ear, nose and throat doctor or other specialist?
What to expect from your doctor
The doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions. For example:
April 30, 2015
- If your infant has tongue-tie, are you having trouble breast-feeding him or her?
- If your older child has tongue-tie, is he or she having trouble making certain sounds or taking care of his or her teeth? Is a gap developing between your child's two bottom front teeth?
- If you have tongue-tie, are you concerned about activities you're not able to do because of limited tongue movement?
- Tongue-tie (ankyloglossia). American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/content/tongue-tie-ankyloglossia. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Tongue-tie. NHS Choices. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tongue-tie/Pages/Introduction.aspx. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Brookes A, et al. Tongue tie: The evidence for frenotomy. Early Human Development. 2014;90:765.
- Isaacson GC. Ankyloglossia (tongue-tie) in infants and children. http:/www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Power RF, et al. Tongue-tie and frenotomy in infants with breastfeeding difficulties: Achieving a balance. Archives of Disease in Childhood. 2014;0:1.
- Webb AN, et al. The effect of tongue-tie division on breastfeeding and speech articulation: A systematic review. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. 2013;77:635.
- Cofer SA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 4, 2015.
- Beatty CW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 20, 2015.