Here's some information to help you get ready for your appointment and know what to expect from your doctor.
What you can do
Prepare a list of questions to help you make the most of your time with the doctor. For tongue-tie, you might ask:
- How severe is the tongue-tie?
- Is treatment needed?
- What are the treatment options?
- Should I consider surgical correction?
- What's involved in surgical correction? What are the risks?
- Is anesthesia necessary?
- Will surgical correction improve my child's ability to get more milk during breast-feeding?
- Can the procedure be done in the office or hospital nursery?
- Do I need to consult an ear, nose and throat doctor or other specialist?
What to expect from your doctor
The doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions. For example:
April 30, 2015
- If your infant has tongue-tie, are you having trouble breast-feeding him or her?
- If your older child has tongue-tie, is he or she having trouble making certain sounds or taking care of his or her teeth? Is a gap developing between your child's two bottom front teeth?
- If you have tongue-tie, are you concerned about activities you're not able to do because of limited tongue movement?
- Tongue-tie (ankyloglossia). American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/content/tongue-tie-ankyloglossia. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Tongue-tie. NHS Choices. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tongue-tie/Pages/Introduction.aspx. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Brookes A, et al. Tongue tie: The evidence for frenotomy. Early Human Development. 2014;90:765.
- Isaacson GC. Ankyloglossia (tongue-tie) in infants and children. http:/www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Power RF, et al. Tongue-tie and frenotomy in infants with breastfeeding difficulties: Achieving a balance. Archives of Disease in Childhood. 2014;0:1.
- Webb AN, et al. The effect of tongue-tie division on breastfeeding and speech articulation: A systematic review. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. 2013;77:635.
- Cofer SA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 4, 2015.
- Beatty CW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 20, 2015.