- Collaboration. At Mayo Clinic, ear, nose and throat specialists (otorhinolaryngologists) work with radiation oncologists, oncologists, pathologists and radiologists as a multidisciplinary team that provides whole-person care for people with tongue cancer. Other professionals are included as needed.
Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors have extensive experience caring for people with tongue cancer. More than 600 people with tongue cancer receive care at Mayo Clinic each year.
Your care team is prepared with the knowledge and resources to provide you with exactly the care you need.
- Access to the latest. Mayo Clinic doctors have access to the latest tongue cancer treatment options. Examples include transoral robotic surgery, intensity-modulated radiation therapy and 3-D conformal radiation therapy.
- Innovative approach to treatment. Mayo Clinic doctors are studying new treatment protocols for people with HPV-associated tongue cancers that reduce the amount of treatment given and lower the risk of treatment side effects, without sacrificing cure rates.
- A full range of treatment options to consider. Mayo Clinic doctors will work with you to review all of your treatment options and choose the treatment that best suits your needs and goals. The range of treatments offered to people with tongue cancer includes surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, targeted therapy and clinical trials.
- Comprehensive cancer center. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets strict standards for a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center, which recognizes scientific excellence and a multidisciplinary approach to cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for cancer.
Dec. 20, 2014
- Head and neck cancers. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Oct. 13, 2014.
- Flint PW, et al. Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 13, 2014.
- Gunderson LL. Clinical Radiation Oncology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct.13, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 11, 2014.