Mayo Clinic doctors and scientists are dedicated to developing new treatment options for people with tongue cancer. Learn more about head and neck surgery research.
Areas of investigation include:
- Improving and adapting existing robotic surgery systems for use on tumors of the tongue
- Investigating tumor growth factors for oral cancer
- Evaluating new methods of use for chemotherapy
- Evaluating new radiation therapy regimens
- Investigating the relationship between HPV and head and neck cancers
- Researching potential gene therapies
Cancer research is conducted in coordination with the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center. The Mayo Clinic Cancer Center receives funding from the National Cancer Institute and is designated as a comprehensive cancer center — recognition for an institution's scientific excellence and multidisciplinary resources focused on cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic authors on tongue cancer on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Dec. 20, 2014
- Robert L. Foote, M.D.
- Yolanda I. Garces, M.D.
- Joaquin J. Garcia, M.D.
- Jan L. Kasperbauer, M.D.
- Daniel J. Ma, M.D.
- Eric J. Moore, M.D.
- Scott H. Okuno, M.D.
- Kerry D. Olsen, M.D.
- Daniel L. Price, M.D.
- David I. Smith, Ph.D.
- Head and neck cancers. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Oct. 13, 2014.
- Flint PW, et al. Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 13, 2014.
- Gunderson LL. Clinical Radiation Oncology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct.13, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 11, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.