You'll probably first bring your concerns to the attention of your family doctor or pediatrician. He or she may refer you to a doctor specializing in nerve function (neurologist) or orthopedic surgery.
What you can do
Before your appointment, you may want to write a list of questions for the doctor, including:
- What could be causing toe walking in my child?
- Are any tests needed? If so, what are they?
- What treatments are recommended for this problem?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor may ask some of the following questions:
Mar. 22, 2012
- Does your child have any other medical problems?
- Do you have a family history of muscular dystrophy or autism?
- Was your child born prematurely?
- Did your child previously walk flat-footed and only recently begin to toe walk?
- Can your child walk on his or her heels if you ask?
- Does your child avoid eye contact or exhibit repetitive behaviors such as rocking or spinning?
- Solan MC, et al. Idiopathic toe walking and contractures of the triceps surae. Foot Ankle Clinics of North America. 2010;15:297.
- Williams CM, et al. Idiopathic toe walking and sensory processing dysfunction. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research. 2010;3:16.
- Williams CM, et al. The toe walking tool: A novel method for assessing idiopathic toe walking children. Gait & Posture. 2010;32:508.
- Cerebral palsy: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/cerebral_palsy/detail_cerebral_palsy.htm. Accessed Jan. 23, 2012.
- JAMA patient page: Muscular dystrophy. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2011;306:2526.
- Autism fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/autism/detail_autism.htm. Accessed Jan. 23, 2012.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed Jan. 23, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.