Be prepared to tell your doctor about:
- Your signs and symptoms
- Your medical history, including any other health conditions you have, such as hearing loss, high blood pressure or clogged arteries (atherosclerosis)
- All medications you take, including herbal remedies
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions, including:
- When did you begin experiencing symptoms?
- What does the noise you hear sound like?
- Do you hear it in one or both ears?
- Has the sound you hear been continuous, or does it come and go?
- How loud is the noise?
- How much does the noise bother you?
- What, if anything, seems to improve your symptoms?
- What, if anything, appears to worsen your symptoms?
- Have you been exposed to loud noises?
- Have you had an ear disease or head injury?
After you've been diagnosed with tinnitus, you may need to see an ear, nose and throat doctor (otolaryngologist). You may also need to work with a hearing expert (audiologist).
Aug. 04, 2017
- Papadakis MA, et al., eds. Ear, nose, & throat disorders. In: Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2015. 54th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2015. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Dec. 8, 2015.
- Longo, DL, et al. Common disorders of vision and hearing. In: Harrison's Manual of Medicine. 18th ed. Longo DL, Fauci AS, Kasper DL, Hauser SL, Jameson J, Loscalzo J., Longo D.L., Fauci A.S., Kasper D.L., Hauser S.L., Jameson J, Loscalzo J. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Dec. 8, 2015.
- Understanding the facts. American Tinnitus Association. http://www.ata.org/understanding-facts. Accessed Dec. 8, 2015.
- Dinces EA. Etiology and diagnosis of tinnitus. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 8, 2015.
- Dinces EA. Treatment of tinnitus. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 8, 2015.
- Tinnitus fact sheet. National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders. http://search.usa.gov/search?utf8=✓&sc=0&m=&embedded=&affiliate=nidcd&filter=moderate&commit=Search&query=tinnitus. Accessed Dec. 8, 2015.
- Tinnitus. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/content/tinnitus. Accessed Dec. 8, 2015.
- Causes of tinnitus. American Tinnitus Association. http://www.ata.org/understanding-facts/causes. Accessed Dec. 8, 2015.