Mayo Clinic doctors and scientists are actively researching new ways of diagnosing and treating thyroid cancer. Mayo Clinic thyroid cancer research includes investigations into common types of the disease, such as papillary thyroid cancer, and rare types of thyroid cancer, such anaplastic thyroid cancer.
Cancer research is conducted in coordination with the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center. The Mayo Clinic Cancer Center receives funding from the National Cancer Institute and is designated as a comprehensive cancer center — recognition for an institution's scientific excellence and multidisciplinary resources focused on cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic authors on thyroid cancer on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
April 14, 2014
- Keith C. Bible, M.D., Ph.D.
- Vahab Fatourechi, M.D.
- Hossein Gharib, M.D.
- Ian D. Hay, M.D., Ph.D.
- Jan L. Kasperbauer, M.D.
- Robert A. Lee, M.D.
- Julian R. Molina, M.D., Ph.D.
- John C. Morris III, M.D.
- Robert C. Smallridge, M.D.
- Marius N. Stan, M.D.
- Gregory A. Wiseman, M.D.
- Melmed S, et al. Williams Textbook of Endocrinology. 12th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 18, 2013.
- Thyroid carcinoma. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Dec. 18, 2013.
- Revised American Thyroid Association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Falls Church, Va.: American Thyroid Association. http://thyroidguidelines.net/revised/taskforce. Accessed Dec. 18, 2013.
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 18, 2013.
- What you need to know about thyroid cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/thyroid. Accessed Dec. 18, 2013.
- Guidelines for patients receiving radioiodine I-131 treatment. Society for Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging. http://interactive.snm.org/index.cfm?PageID=11031. Accessed Dec. 24, 2013.
- Hay ID, et al. The coming of age of ultrasound-guided percutaneous ethanol ablation of selected neck nodal metastases in well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2011;96:2717.
- Caprelsa (prescribing information). Wilmington, Del.: AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals; 2013. http://www.caprelsa.com. Accessed Dec. 24, 2013.
- Cometriq (prescribing information). South San Francisco, Calif.: Exelixis Inc.; 2012. http://www.cometriq.com. Accessed Dec. 24, 2013.
- Frequently asked questions about potassium iodide. U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. http://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/emerg-preparedness/about-emerg-preparedness/potassium-iodide/ki-faq.html. Accessed Dec. 24, 2013.
- Brito JP, et al. Thyroid cancer: Zealous imaging has increased detection and treatment of low risk tumors. BMJ. 2013;347:f4706.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 24, 2013.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 5, 2014.
- Morris JC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 6, 2014.
- Nexavar (prescribing information). Whippany, N.J.: Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc.; 2013. http://www.nexavar-us.com. Accessed Jan. 8, 2014.