Thyroid cancer occurs in the cells of the thyroid — a butterfly-shaped gland located at the base of your neck, just below your Adam's apple. Your thyroid produces hormones that regulate your heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature and weight.
Although thyroid cancer isn't common in the United States, rates seem to be increasing. Doctors think this is because new technology is allowing them to find small thyroid cancers that may not have been found in the past.
Most cases of thyroid cancer can be cured with treatment.
Apr. 02, 2011
- Lal G, et al. Thyroid cancer. In: Abeloff MD, et al. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1709/0.html. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Thyroid carcinoma. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Thyroid cancer: Detailed guide. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/ThyroidCancer/DetailedGuide/index. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Prinz RA, et al. Thyroid cancer. In: Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy 2011. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Consideration of potassium iodide in emergency planning. United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission. http://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/emerg-preparedness/about-emerg-preparedness/potassium-iodide.html. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Nuclear power plant emergency preparedness. Federal Emergency Management Agency. http://www.nukepills.com/docs/FEMA_Nuclear_Power_Plant_Emergency.pdf. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Tuttle RM. Overview of the management of differentiated thyroid cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 3, 2011.