Thyroid cancer that comes back
Despite treatment, thyroid cancer can return, even if you've had your thyroid removed. This could happen if microscopic cancer cells spread beyond the thyroid before it's removed. Thyroid cancer recurrence can occur decades after thyroid cancer treatment.
Thyroid cancer may recur in:
- Lymph nodes in the neck
- Small pieces of thyroid tissue left behind during surgery
- Other areas of the body — most often the lungs or the bones
Thyroid cancer that recurs can be treated. Your doctor may recommend periodic blood tests or thyroid scans to check for signs of a thyroid cancer recurrence.
Apr. 02, 2011
- Lal G, et al. Thyroid cancer. In: Abeloff MD, et al. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1709/0.html. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Thyroid carcinoma. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Thyroid cancer: Detailed guide. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/ThyroidCancer/DetailedGuide/index. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Prinz RA, et al. Thyroid cancer. In: Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy 2011. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Consideration of potassium iodide in emergency planning. United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission. http://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/emerg-preparedness/about-emerg-preparedness/potassium-iodide.html. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Nuclear power plant emergency preparedness. Federal Emergency Management Agency. http://www.nukepills.com/docs/FEMA_Nuclear_Power_Plant_Emergency.pdf. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Tuttle RM. Overview of the management of differentiated thyroid cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Feb. 26, 2011.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 3, 2011.