During a physical exam, your doctor will ask about your symptoms and look for noticeable swelling or lumps on your joints.
Your doctor might hold your joint while moving your thumb, with pressure, against your wrist bone. If this movement produces a grinding sound, or causes pain or a gritty feeling, the cartilage has likely worn down, and the bones are rubbing against each other.
Imaging techniques, usually X-rays, can reveal signs of thumb arthritis, including:
May 14, 2015
- Bone spurs
- Worn-down cartilage
- Loss of joint space
- Frontera WR. Hand osteoarthritis. In: Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Li YK, et al. Five things to know about … carpometacarpal osteoarthritis of the thumb. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2013;185:149.
- Arthritis of the thumb. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00210. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Firestein GS, et al. Hand and wrist pain. In: Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the presenting symptoms of thumb arthritis? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Bray J, et al. Evaluation of the patient with thumb pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Hochberg MC. The wrist and hand. In: Rheumatology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Ladd AL, et al. The 2014 ABJS Nicolas Andry award: The puzzle of the thumb: Mobility, stability, and demands in opposition. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2014;472:3605.
- Arthritis: Base of the thumb. American Society for Surgery of the Hand. http://www.assh.org/PUBLIC/HANDCONDITIONS/Pages/ArthritisBaseofthe.aspx. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Berger AJ, et al. Management of osteoarthritis of the thumb joints. Journal of Hand Surgery (American Volume). 2015;40:843.
- Chang-Miller A (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz. April 9, 2015.
- Kloppenburg M. Hand osteoarthritis — nonpharmacological and pharmacological treatments. Nature Reviews Rheumatology.2014;10:242.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.