Risk factorsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Factors that can increase your risk of thumb arthritis include:
May 14, 2015
- Female sex.
- Age above 40 years.
- Certain hereditary conditions, such as joint ligament laxity and malformed joints.
- Injuries to your thumb joint, such as fractures and sprains.
- Diseases that change the normal structure and function of cartilage, such as rheumatoid arthritis. Although osteoarthritis is the most common cause of thumb arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis can also affect the CMC joint, usually to a lesser extent than other joints of the hand.
- Activities and jobs that put high stress on the thumb joint.
- Frontera WR. Hand osteoarthritis. In: Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Li YK, et al. Five things to know about … carpometacarpal osteoarthritis of the thumb. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2013;185:149.
- Arthritis of the thumb. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00210. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Firestein GS, et al. Hand and wrist pain. In: Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the presenting symptoms of thumb arthritis? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Bray J, et al. Evaluation of the patient with thumb pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Hochberg MC. The wrist and hand. In: Rheumatology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Ladd AL, et al. The 2014 ABJS Nicolas Andry award: The puzzle of the thumb: Mobility, stability, and demands in opposition. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2014;472:3605.
- Arthritis: Base of the thumb. American Society for Surgery of the Hand. http://www.assh.org/PUBLIC/HANDCONDITIONS/Pages/ArthritisBaseofthe.aspx. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Berger AJ, et al. Management of osteoarthritis of the thumb joints. Journal of Hand Surgery (American Volume). 2015;40:843.
- Chang-Miller A (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz. April 9, 2015.
- Kloppenburg M. Hand osteoarthritis — nonpharmacological and pharmacological treatments. Nature Reviews Rheumatology.2014;10:242.