Thumb arthritis commonly occurs with aging. Previous trauma or injury to the thumb joint also can cause thumb arthritis.
In a normal thumb joint, cartilage covers the ends of the bones — acting as a cushion and allowing the bones to glide smoothly against each other. With thumb arthritis, the cartilage that covers the ends of the bones deteriorates, and its smooth surface roughens. The bones then rub against each other, resulting in friction and joint damage.
The damage to the joint might result in growth of new bone along the sides of the existing bone (bone spurs), which can produce noticeable lumps on your thumb joint.
May 14, 2015
- Frontera WR. Hand osteoarthritis. In: Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Li YK, et al. Five things to know about … carpometacarpal osteoarthritis of the thumb. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2013;185:149.
- Arthritis of the thumb. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00210. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Firestein GS, et al. Hand and wrist pain. In: Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the presenting symptoms of thumb arthritis? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Bray J, et al. Evaluation of the patient with thumb pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Hochberg MC. The wrist and hand. In: Rheumatology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Ladd AL, et al. The 2014 ABJS Nicolas Andry award: The puzzle of the thumb: Mobility, stability, and demands in opposition. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2014;472:3605.
- Arthritis: Base of the thumb. American Society for Surgery of the Hand. http://www.assh.org/PUBLIC/HANDCONDITIONS/Pages/ArthritisBaseofthe.aspx. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Berger AJ, et al. Management of osteoarthritis of the thumb joints. Journal of Hand Surgery (American Volume). 2015;40:843.
- Chang-Miller A (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz. April 9, 2015.
- Kloppenburg M. Hand osteoarthritis — nonpharmacological and pharmacological treatments. Nature Reviews Rheumatology.2014;10:242.