Symptoms associated with thoracic outlet syndrome can be caused by a number of other conditions, which makes it difficult for doctors to diagnose the condition. Many people experience thoracic outlet syndrome symptoms for years before they are diagnosed with the condition, which can cause stress and frustration.
Be sure to discuss your concerns with your doctor if your symptoms persist and a diagnosis hasn't been made.
Aug. 01, 2013
- NINDS thoracic outlet syndrome information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/thoracic/thoracic.htm. Accessed May 8, 2013.
- Thoracic outlet syndrome. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00336. Accessed May 8, 2013.
- Thoracic outlet compression syndromes. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic_disorders/peripheral_nervous_system_and_motor_unit_disorders/thoracic_outlet_compression_syndromes.html?qt=thoracic%20outlet%20&alt=sh. Accessed May 8, 2013.
- Thoracic outlet syndrome. The Society for Vascular Surgery. http://www.vascularweb.org/vascularhealth/Pages/thoracic-outlet-syndrome.aspx. Accessed May 8, 2013.
- Goshima K. Overview of thoracic outlet syndromes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 8, 2013.
- Bromberg MB. Brachial plexus syndromes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 13, 2013.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed May 8, 2013.