Infant jaundice, a yellowing of the skin and eyes, is common after birth. Careful monitoring and treatment is important for preventing rare, but serious, complications.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Changes in urine color can be alarming, but they're often harmless — the result of certain foods, supplements or medications.
Tests and diagnosis
Amniocentesis — Overview covers definition, risks, results of this prenatal test.
Chorionic villus sampling — Overview covers definition, risks, results of this early prenatal test.
A complete blood count can be used to evaluate your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
Treatments and drugs
Blood transfusions boost blood levels that are low due to surgery, injury or disease. Learn about the benefits, risks and what to expect.
Stem cell transplants can bring certain cancers and other diseases under control, or even cure them. Find out what's involved in this complex procedure.
Jan. 02, 2014
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Sept. 10, 2013.
- What are thalassemias? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/thalassemia/printall-index.html. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Kelly N. Thalassemia. Pediatrics in Review. 2012;33;434.
- Thalassemias. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/hematology_and_oncology/anemias_caused_by_hemolysis/thalassemias.html. Accessed Sept. 10, 2013.
- Mueller BU. Prenatal testing for the hemoglobinopathies and thalassemias. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 10, 2013.
- Benz EJ. Treatment of beta thalassemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 10, 2013.
- Musallam KM, et al. Iron overload in b-thalassemia intermedia: An emerging concern. Current Opinion in Hematology. 2013;20:187.